The Black and White of It: What Does it Mean to Be a Biracial Family in 2013?



A few years ago, an editor asked me if I would write about what it’s like raising biracial children with my Italian husband.  While I am well aware of the racial strife that continues to thrive in this lovely country of ours, the concept of writing an article on how I raise my kids gave me pause. They are simply my kids; I love them and raise them! It’s my modus operandi, you know?  Plus, living in New York City, not too many people turn their heads – no major shock value here.



And yet…there is so much to reflect on and so many wild stories, both beautiful and heartbreaking, that come out of being a multiracial family. I wrote about it for The Grio just recently:

http://thegrio.com/2013/08/05/raising-biracial-kids-in-2013-the-challenges-and-the-opportunities-for-the-african-american-community/

Labels: , , , , ,